Mr. Pleau holds a Ph.D. in chemical engineering with a specialization in process control. With over 20 years of experience, Mr. Pleau is Tetra Tech CSO’s technical expert for software development and all major projects involving the optimization of wastewater and stormwater networks, as well as the design of real time control systems.
Through close collaboration with clients and the Tetra Tech CSO team, Mr. Pleau pioneered the development of Csoft®, a sophisticated software package that provides predictive, automated, optimized, and coordinated control of wastewater and stormwater networks in real time, all while integrating seamlessly with any SCADA system. This innovative technology is now in application in several large cities in North America and Europe for both pollution and flood control. His technical expertise has been instrumental in the successful completion of several real time control design and implementation projects as well as feasibility studies.
- PLEAU, M., CAMPISANO, A., CABOT PLE, J., MUSCHALLA, M., VANROLLEGHEM, P.A. (2013) Potential and Limitations of Modern Equipment for Real Time Control of Urban Wastewater Systems, Urban Water Journal 2013.
- PLEAU, M., FRADET, O., COLAS, H., MARCOUX, C. (2010) Giving the Rivers Back to the Public. Ten Years of Real Time Control in Quebec City, NOVATECH 2010, Lyon, France.
- PLEAU, M., FRADET, O., MARCOUX, C., (2010) Reducing CSOs and Giving the River Back to the Public: Innovative Combined Sewer Overflow Control and Riverbanks of the St-Charles River in Quebec City, IWA World Water Exhibition, September 19-24, 2010, Montreal, QC, Canada.
- PLEAU, M., COLAS, H., LAVALLÉE, P., PELLETIER, G., BONIN, R. (2005) Global Optimal Real Time Control of the Quebec Urban Drainage System, Environmental Modelling & Software, Vol. 20, p. 401-413.
- COLAS, H., PLEAU, M., LAMARRE, J., PELLETIER, G., LAVALLÉE, P. (2004) Practical Perspective on Real Time Control, Water Quality Resource Journal of Canada, Vol. 39, No. 4, p. 466-478.
- PLEAU, M., PELLETIER, G., COLAS, H., LAVALLÉE, P. and BONIN, R. (2002) Reliability and Robustness in Real Time Control Applications, 9th International Conference on Urban Drainage, Portland, Oregon
- PLEAU, M., PELLETIER, G., COLAS, H., LAVALLÉE, P. and BONIN, R. (2000) Global Predictive RTC of Quebec Urban Community's Westerly Sewer Network. 5th Symposium on System Analysis and Computing in Water Quality Management, Gant, Belgium.
- PLEAU, M., PELLETIER, G., MARCOUX, C., MEUNIER, C. and BONIN, R. (2000) Real Time Control for CSO Management: Quebec Urban Community System Start-up. 29th Annual WEAO Technical Symposium and OPCEA Exhibition, Hamilton, Canada.
- PLEAU, M., COLAS, H. and VILLENEUVE, E. (1998) CSO Plan Optimization, WEF specialty conference series, Proceedings: Advances in urban wet weather pollution reduction, Cleveland, Ohio, p. 591-600.
- PLEAU, M., TREMBLAY, M. and COLAS, H. (1996) A Simple Approach for the Diagnosis and the Design of Sewer Networks for Real Time Control Applications. WEF Specialty Conference Series, Proceeding: Urban Wet Weather Pollution. 1996, Quebec City, Canada. p. 12-23, 12-34.
- LAVALLÉE, P., MARCOUX, C., PLEAU, M., TREMBLAY, M. and COLAS, H. (1996) Automation in the Management of CSOs: Solution to be Examined Prior to the Design of Detention Tanks. 7th International Conference on Urban Storm Drainage (ICVSD). September, 1996. Hannover, Germany.
- PLEAU, M. and MCLELLAN, J. Reducing Conservativness in Robust Nonlinear Control, Proceedings: 45th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference (CSCLE), Quebec, 1995, p. 389.
- PLEAU, M. and MCLELLAN, J. Robust Stabilization of Positively Constrained Uncertain Systems. Proceedings: American Control Conference (ACC), Baltimore, 1994, p. 3489-3493.
- PLEAU, M., DELGADO, D.D., LAVOIE, G., THIBAULT, J. A Versatile Temperature Control Laboratory, Proceedings: Eighth Canadian Conference on Engineering Education, Quebec, 1992, p. 606-613.
- PLEAU, M. and THIBAULT, J. A. Simple Class of Nonlinear Controllers: L/A Controllers, Proceedings: 42nd Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference (CSCHE), Toronto, 1992, p. 511-512.
- PLEAU, M., PELLETIER, G., COLAS, H., LAVALLÉE, P. and BONIN, R. (2001) Global Predictive Real Time Control of Quebec Urban Community’s Westerly Sewer Network. Wat. Sci. Tech. Vol. 43, 7, p. 123-130.
- METHOT, J.F. and PLEAU, M. (1997) The effects of uncertainties on the control performance of sewer networks. Wat. Sci. Tech., vol 36,5, p. 309-315.
- PLEAU, M., MÉTHOT, F., LEBRUN, A.M., COLAS, H. Minimizing CSOs in Real Time Control Applications, Water Quality Research Journal of Canada, Vol. 31, No. 4, 1996, p. 775‑786.
- COLAS, H., PLEAU, M., LAMARRE, J., PELLETIER, G. Practical Perspective on Real Time Control, Water Quality, Research Journal of Canada, Vol. 39, No. 4, 2004, 466‑478
- PLEAU, M., COLAS, H., LAVALLÉE, P., PELLETIER, G., BONIN, R. Global Optimal Real Time Control of the Quebec Urban Drainage System, Environmental Modeling & Software, 20, 2005, p. 401‑413